Marghinotti was one of the most representative Sardinian masters of the nineteenth century. His training took place in Rome thanks to a regional board that allowed him to follow the courses of the Academy of France. In 1829 he built the large canvas Tribute to King Carlo Felice protector of Fine Arts in Sardinia, preserved in the Civic Council of Cagliari.
In 1834 he settled in Cagliari continuing to work for the court (1843 (The landing of King Carlo Alberto in Cagliari April 17, 1841) and for the ecclesiastical commissions (the Sacred Heart of Mary for the cathedral of Cagliari.) In 1845 he obtained the chair at the Academy of Fine Arts in Turin where he moved for ten years. his production includes portraits, scenes of historical chronicle, landscapes and religious paintings. was also named an honorary member of painting at the Royal Academy Albertina in Turin and virtuous of about Academy of the Virtuosi at the Pantheon in Rome in 1845 and also won the prestigious post of court painter of King Charles Albert.