He was born in the canton of Ticino in Ligornetto from poor parents. After winning a cash prize, he moved to Rome to study. When the revolution broke out against Austria, the young sculptor returned to Milan enlisting as a soldier. Returned from the war, in 1852, he accepted the offer as a professor at the Accademia Albertina in Turin, where as a sculptor began a new period of creations.
Some of his works: the “resignation” to the Countess Loschi of Vicenza, the statue of the “mathematical Piola” that of “poet Tommaso Grossi”, the “philosopher Rosmini”, a “Minerva”, to Lisbon, the “statue of Cavour, “for the lobby of the Stock Exchange of Genoa, the” monument to Donizetti “, which dominates the allegorical figure of ‘” Harmony “, depicting a woman crying on the portrait of the great master.
He also made the “monument in Manin” opened in Turin for the Franco-Italian initiative after 1859. And ‘the tomb of his work to the Countess Giulini, representative: “The Prayer of the Dead”, which is to Verate in Brianza, a large project funerary monument to the Duke of Brunswick, and the statue of “Correggio”.
He also did an “Ecce Homo”, which he exhibited in Rome in 1883, and a monument to the child “Tito Palestrini”, which is located in the Campo Santo of Turin, and many other memorials and statues and bas-reliefs.