Vincenzo Sorrentino, who worked in Naples between 1855 and 1877, was a classicist landscape painter who drew mainly on the vedutistic tradition of the late 18th century. There is very little biographical information about the artist, but it is certain that he took part in five Neapolitan exhibitions between the Bourbon Biennales and the Promotrici di Napoli from 1855 to 1877, exhibitions which are the few sources confirming the artist’s Neapolitan period of activity.
A late 18th-century Vedutist
Vincenzo Sorrentino seems to have inherited the style of Jakob Philipp Hackert (1737-1807), with the adoption of parallel planes that follow one another in an orderly and classical vision of space, framed by the traditional tree wings and illuminated by a clear, golden and diffused light.
At the Bourbon Exhibition of 1855 he exhibited The new street Maria Teresa with a view of the Riviera di Chiaja and Posillipo. In 1859 he presented a View of the military port of Naples taken from the garden of the late Prince of Salerno. At the 1875 exhibition he exhibited an Ornate, while at the following year’s exhibition Clock case on the 15th century. Six terracotta ornaments appeared at the last Bourbon Exhibition in which he took part in 1877.