He completed his studies at the Institute of Fine Arts in Naples under the guidance of Domenico Morelli. In 1872 he took part in the competition of the National Retired Art of Rome, and succeeded, together with Antonio Piccinni, victorious. He started his career with the painting “Gl’innamorati”, placed in the Gallery of Capodimonte.
The work which was duly accompanied his name is the great altarpiece “The Martyrdom of St. Cuono,” painted for the main church of Acerra. In this painting the Flower showed all the maturity of his genius and deserved unconditional praise from the artists and the public. The Spanish painter Louis Alvarez, who saw the picture exposure of Naples in 1877, declared it one of the best shows.